
I have been driving Tyler to school every day, fighting all of the wonderful school traffic; so, I decided to check out the bus schedule. Little did I know that in the Elk Grove School District you have to pay $225.00 a year for your child to ride the bus. What!?! Yea, that is right you have to pay to ride the bus now. I had absolutely NO idea!!!! I MISTAKENLY thought that our property TAXES covered this expense. Wow, what is this world coming too.
Well, that at least explains the ridiculous traffic around the school around 8am and 3:30pm. I guess, Tyler will not get to have the pleasure of riding the bus to school. Maybe this isn't all bad. I mean it is kind of a scary thought to think that Tyler, my little 5 year old, would be on the bus with 11 year olds. Yes, maybe it is a good thing that the public school system has decided to charge students to ride the bus. I remember having to defend my younger siblings numerous times from would be bullies on the bus; ok, maybe not numerous time but several times. :)
I still have to wonder, is this the norm in California? Is this a statewide thing? Do other states have this same policy!?! Anyways, I guess, I am just venting a little...I guess public school transportation is a thing of the past and is going the same way as this old school bus.



9 comments:
What? That is outrageous! (And I love the picture you attached.)
Down here in So. Cal it is the same thing. You don't get much for free in California-I have been figuring that out over the past few years. It is frustrating!
You have to PAY to ride the bus??? That's absurd. Especially since the bus ride was always torture. Do you know if this is a recent response to gas prices?
Sarah - One of the mother's that has another older child at Irene B. West said they changed it a couple of years ago. You have to pay like ~$410 for two kids to ride the bus which is completely insane!!
That's insane. I can only imagine if my parents had to pay for all 4 of us to ride the bus, we probably would have had to live in mobile homes for a living and fill the back of my dad's truck with water for a pool.
That is insane...just another reason to move to texas.:) Man, I can't imagine, but I also can't imagine putting Halli on the bus, seems scary like you said.
I know. It's nuts. CA school system in general is so not so swell.
In Folsom you can't ride the bus unless you live a certain amount of miles away from the school and you still have to pay about $150 a year. Luckily there is not a ton of traffic and enough schools here where most people can walk to their school. But still lame!
Kate-
The last comment was from me! Sorry!
Post a Comment